About this Event
12604 Quivira, Overland Park , KS 66213
The 2023 Summer Conference will be held on June 16, 2023 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. CT at KU’s Edwards Campus in the BEST Building. Iconoclastic thinkers in education will challenge the status quo with short, TED-style “EduTalks” with topics focused on artificial intelligence, competency-based education, working with diverse students, literacy, health and wellness, and more.
The event will be live, with a Zoom possibility for those who cannot attend in person. It is free and open to the public, but online registration is required. Interested individuals are encouraged to RSVP now and mark their calendars. Access the appropriate online RSVP form to attend either in person or virtually.
The 2023 Summer Conference is hosted by the KU Global Education Academy of the School of Education & Human Sciences in partnership with the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE).
Agenda and schedule for this year’s conference:
- 8:00 am — Networking, with continental breakfast
- 8:45 am — Welcome by Rick Ginsberg, Dean, School of Education and Human Sciences, KU
- 9:00 am — “Education in the Age of Smart Machines,” Yong Zhao, Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, KU
- 9:25 am — “When Am I Enough?," Jodi Grover, Principal, Burlington High School
- 9:50 am — “Literacy Changes Lives,” Laurie Curtis, Early Literacy/Dyslexia Program Manager, KSDE
- 10:15 am — Break
- 10:25 am — “STEM to Improve Child Fitness and Wellness,” Trent Herda, Professor, Department of Health, Sport & Exercise Sciences, KU
- 10:50 am — “This is the Moment,” Jerri Kemble, National Academic Advisor, ClassLink
- 11:15 am — “Designing for Equity, Justice, and Innovation: A (Quick) Journey into Competency-based Education for K-12 Educators,” Manjula Karamcheti, Associate Senior Researcher, Center for Certification & Competency-Based Education, KU
- 11:40 am — “Considering Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Human Learning ,” James Basham, Professor, Department of Special Education, KU
- 12:05 pm — “Reconceptualizing Literacy,” Rick Ginsberg, Dean, School of Education and Human Sciences, KU
- 12:30 pm — Lunch, with Keynote by Randy Watson, Commissioner of Education
- 2:00 pm — Concluding remarks and networking
Keep up with the latest details here.